**VIEW THE VIDEO BELOW**
Community health workers (CHWs) have been on the front lines of health care delivery for decades, serving as a vital link between providers and the surrounding communities. This relationship has become even more important through the advent of the Affordable Care Act, as millions of Americans obtain access to care and providers are under increasing pressure to contain costs.
On October 20, we convened experts to review current training and certification standards, best practices, challenges, and opportunities for CHWs in an era of payment reform. Featured speakers included:
- Rishi Manchanda, MD, President and Founder, HealthBegins; Author, "The Upstream Doctors"
- Gail Hirsch, Director, Office of Community Health Workers, Massachusetts Department of Public Health
- Lisa Renee Holderby-Fox, Community Health Worker Workforce Consultant
- Sergio Matos, Founder and Executive Director, Community Health Worker Network of NYC
- Barbara Raynor, Managing Director, Boomers Leading Change in Health
- Sarah Jane Reed, Program Director, Institute for Clinical and Economic Review
- Carl Rush, Research Affiliate, Project on Community Health Workers Policy & Practice, University of Texas-Houston, Institute for Health Policy
- Alan Weil, Editor-in-Chief, Health Affairs
- Carol West, Executive Director, Community Health Worker Initiative of Sonoma County
- Commander Thomas Pryor, U.S. Public Health Service, Project Officer for CMMI Prevention and Population Health Care Models Group
- Maria Lemus, Executive Director, Vision y Compromiso and the Promotoras/Community Health Worker Network
- Noelle Wiggins, Director, Community Capacitation Center, Multnomah County Health Department
- Jill Feldstein, Director, Penn Center for Community Health Workers
- Jason Turi, Associate Clinical Director, Camden Coalition of Healthcare Providers
- Jessica Valles, Community Health Worker, Camden Coalition of Healthcare Providers
- Kristen Godfrey Walters, Community Care Coordination Manager, Hennepin County Medical Center
- Rushika Fernandopulle, MD, Co-Founder and CEO, Iora Health
View the video here:
On May 11, NEHI and JHF published an issue brief summarizing the history of CHWs and includes key findings from the October 2014 summit and subsequent invite-only meeting held in Pennsylvania in April 2015.
Click here to read more.